Thursday, May 24, 2012

Staining the front porch railings, finally!

There's no getting around it.  We've complained and procrastinated - our front porch railings still need to be stained.  Here it is (almost) Memorial Day Weekend and we have 20 people coming over for a clam bake on Monday.  So, it's gonna be done.

Yesterday we went to Home Depot and spoke with the "paint guy with a very deep voice and lots of tattoos" (pretty sure that's his official title). He was very helpful and advised us to go with a semi-transparent stain in California Redwood.  I've seen a lot of houses where people have used a similar color on their porches and decks, and I hope/think/pray it goes well with our siding, because we ended up buying a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff!   (We don't like to mess around.)

Mr. Deep Voice told us that the stain is water based, so we'd better hurry up and get the wood stained before the rain hits Saturday and washes our hard work away.  Great!  Now we only have until Saturday, if we want it done for our party on Monday.

So, here we are at noon on Thursday, and there's a LOT to go.  (At least it shows some progress, and I'm very pleased with the color.)

Bummer for me, the H is off to work, I have a toddler who needs a nap, and two tweens who need to be picked up from school!

How am I going to get this done?  I'll tell you how!  I'm gonna get off my computer, suck it up, and get out there!

Pix of the finished railings tomorrow! (okay, realistically, Monday.)

No comments: