Sunday, February 24, 2013

Replace your Furnace Filter

Hello there!

Today I woke up and realized the heat has been on almost non-stop for 3 months. The windows have been opened only when I burned the bacon last week occasionally, and the dog and cat have been indoors more than usual. And that means, dust, and dog hair, and general nastiness in the air. Which means the furnace filter probably needs to be replaced.

They work better when they're clean, and that means cleaner air and heat, which means better heat bills.

Before I get to how to replace the filter, you need to buy replacements. They come in different sizes and are usually sold in 6-packs, so you can store them until you need them. If anyone in your family has allergies, consider a HEPA filter. If you click the link below, you can find the size you need.



Four steps to furnace filter freshness:

1. Assuming you have the correct filters it's time to find your furnace. We have two. One in the basement, and one on the second floor. This may sound like an easy task but for me it was an adventure. Especially finding the furnace in the basement. My journey to the center of the basement included a hike through what one might call no-mans land.  I had to journey through the motorcycle grave yard, over paint can mountain, and through power tool valley - narrowly escaping cat litter abyss. (Lucky I remembered bottled water and protein bars.)

2. Assuming you have located your furnace, find the filter.  It is a framed mesh rectangle, and you will know it needs changing when it's brown and you can't see through it. Usually after ONE month (not 3 like me!).

Change a Furnace Filter - Comparison
(photo from Bobvilla.com)

Weird furnace fact from my house - I sleep on a feather pillow, and the feathers get everywhere, including, apparently, all the way to the basement. The filter actually had feathers in it!

3. So you've located the filter. Throw away the old filter and put the new filter in it's place, which is a fairly easy task. Just turn off the furnace. Pull out the existing filter (located near the intake/outtake blower fan). Slide in a new filter and don't forget to turn the furnace back on.

4. Find your way back home upstairs.

YAY! I can almost see see the clean air!

Okay, so I guess I shouldn't be so proud that I changed the furnace filter, but I get excited about little things. Champagne anyone?